Back pain is a major concern for over 31 million Americans according to the American Chiropractic Association. The National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases estimates that 8 out of 10 people have back problems during the course of their lives, ranging from minor discomfort to debilitating pain. Learn about the different types of back pain, what causes back pain and how it can be successfully treated by a chiropractor at King Chiropractic in Clarksburg, Gaithersburg, Potomac and Urbana, MD.
Back Pain Sufferers
Back pain is one of the most common health-related issues for Americans. It is most common in older men—especially those who have worked labor-intensive jobs like manufacturing and construction all of their lives. Women often have back pain during and after pregnancy or due to complications related to osteoporosis when they age. Patients who have severe back pain experience a number of symptoms including stiffness, sharp pains, tingling, weakness and the inability to stand up straight after bending down. The exact cause of back pain can be confirmed with an X-ray, MRI and/or CT scan.
Types of Back Pain
There are a number of different types of back pain. Some cases are acute (symptoms last less than six months) while others are chronic (pain persists over a long period of time). Here are a few of the most common types of pain that your Clarksburg, Gaithersburg, Potomac and Urbana chiropractors can treat:
- Upper and middle back pain.
- Lower back pain or sciatica (pain can also be felt in the legs).
- Herniated disc or pinched nerve.
- A degenerative condition, like arthritis or disc disease.
- Neuropathic back pain (nerves cause the sensation of pain even though there is no injury).
Ways to Treat Back Pain
Your chiropractor can help you with back pain using a number of different techniques.
- Chiropractic adjustments to fix misalignments (called subluxation).
- Electrotherapy and ultrasound therapy.
- Pelvic blocking (for disc problems).
- Massage therapy.
- Lumbar stabilization.
- Ice or heat therapy.
- Stretching and strengthening exercises.
- Anti-inflammatory medication to manage pain.
Call Today for Back Pain Treatment
A chiropractor can help you get your back pain under control. Call King Chiropractic in Clarksburg, Gaithersburg, Potomac and Urbana today to explore the various treatments that are available.