Learn the leading causes of headaches, and what your Gaithersburg, Potomac, Urbana, and Clarksburg chiropractor can do to help.
Did you know that headaches are one of the most common nervous system disorders? In fact, about 47 percent of adults worldwide have experienced headaches at least once a year. While some headaches are only a minor nuisance some people deal with chronic or debilitating headaches that cause make it difficult to even get out of bed. Find out what could be causing your headache.
What’s triggering my headache?
There are countless things that could trigger our headaches. Some of these include foods, environmental elements such as noises or lights or even behavioral components such as extreme exercises or changes in blood sugar. Some headaches are brought on by other physical problems. In fact, a large majority of headaches are linked to muscle tension in the neck. So what does your chiropractor recommend doing to treat your tension induced headaches?
- If you work for hours on end at a desk or in front of a computer then you probably spend the majority of your time in one position. This can be terrible for your neck muscles and can lead to headaches. Therefore, try to take a break and stretch your muscles every 30 minutes to an hour. Talk to your Clarksburg chiropractor about the different kinds of stretches you can perform for your head and neck that will give it full range-of-motion.
- Low-impact exercises like walking or the elliptical could actually help reduce your tension headaches. However, if your headaches tend to be throbbing in nature, stay away from extreme or heavy exercises.
- Treat teeth cleaning or grinding, which can put stress on the temporomandibular joint (TMJ), the two joints of the jaw. This not only causes irritation and soreness of the jaw muscles but also tension headaches.
- Stay hydrated by drinking eight 8-ounces of water a day. Dehydration can also be a headache trigger.
How can my Gaithersburg, Potomac, Urbana, and Clarksburg area chiropractor help my headaches?
If you suffer from tension, migraine or cluster headaches then there are several things we can do to treat your condition and reduce symptoms:
- Spinal manipulation or adjustments can help improve spinal health and reduce the stress placed on certain muscles that could be causing tension and your subsequent headaches.
- Discuss diet and nutritional habits to see if you need to change your lifestyle or introduce supplements into your diet to reduce headaches.
- Discuss ergonomics, relaxation techniques to help with teeth clenching, and even stretching exercises. This will help reduce muscle and joint irritation and increase flexibility, especially around the neck.
Are over-the-counter pain medications and other at-home measures not helping you find relief from your headaches? Then it might be time to talk to your chiropractor about treatment options for alleviating your headache symptoms. Call King Chiropractic today and get a handle on how to deal with this annoying problem. With convenient locations in Gaithersburg, Potomac, Urbana, Clarksburg, we're here to help you conquer headache pain!